Tuesday, April 5, 2011

(UN)HAPPY


Lykke Li aka Li Lykke Timotej Zachrisson is one of several amazing artists that have come out of the Swedish music scene during the 2000s. (Another personal favorite is female singer Karin Dreijer Andersson aka Fever Ray.) The pronunciation and approximate spelling means happy in the Scandinavian languages (the Norwegian word is "lykkelig" with a silent g; the Swedish word "lycklig"), but happiness hardly comes to mind when listening to her music.

She has just released her second album Wounded Rhymes, mentioned in a recent blog post. Her first album Youth Novels (2008) is worth revisiting, and is perhaps a bit more dance floor friendly. It contains the favorite singles I'm Good I'm Gone and Little Bit.

Lykke Li - Little Bit


The Franco-German DJ and producer Fred Falke gave the tune I'm Good I'm Gone a touch of mellow electronic vibes, perfect for an early night warm-up or a late night wind-down.

Lykke Li - I'm Good I'm Gone (Fred Falke remix)


Another gem from the 2008 album Youth Novels is the melancholic Dance Dance Dance.

Lykke Li - Dance Dance Dance


Lykke Li will play live in DC at the 9:30 Club on May 15. Don't miss out!